Apple Sauce Spice Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus more for the pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 2/3 cups jarred chunky applesauce
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup dark or golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 pints vanilla ice cream
- Heat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform or round cake pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. In a
large saucepan, over medium heat, melt the butter. Remove from heat and
stir in the granulated sugar, applesauce, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg,
vanilla, and eggs. Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
Stir in the raisins. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the cake from pan. Invert it onto the rack. Turn it over again onto a serving plate. Sprinkle the cake with the confectioners' sugar, slice into wedges, and serve with the ice cream.